Sunbeam, an American Saddle-bred, is delivered to Kim’s house by mistake. Kim is a young girl that dreams of being a cowgirl. As the horse is unloaded from the trailer, she thinks her dream has come true. But her happiness soon turns to despair when the error is recognized. When her father learns about the mistake he drives the family out to the stables to take a look at the champion horse. The visit to the stables provides unexpected opportunities. As a book writer and educator, I included a list of teaching strategies. I hope that you will enjoy reading this book. It is based on a true story.
Literacy and Language Development
Ask the following questions after the book has been read.
1. Who are the main characters in the story?
2. Where did the story take place?
3. What are the differences in Kim and Christopher’s pretend horses.
4. What happened first in the story? Second?
5. What do you think will happen after Kim learns to ride?
1. Have you ever felt sad?
2. Have you ever felt angry?
3. What things can you do when you feel sad or angry?
1. Draw a picture of a horse, barn, stable, etc.
2. Create a new ending for the story?
1. Try to ride on a pretend horse. (discarded broom).
1. Match, sort, and classify different plastic horses, figures, hats, etc.
1. Visit a horse stable.
2. How would you take care of a horse?
1. Research the different horse breeds.